Artist Shirley Carnt opens her studio on the salt marsh at Thornham
- Credit: Archant
An artist who captures wide open skies and seascapes on the Norfolk coast is hosting an open studio.
Shirley Carnt draws her inspiration from the beaches and downs around her home beside the marsh at Thornham.
Now in her 80s, she can remember when spritsail barges sailed into the harbour from Newcastle to replenish the Coal Barn.
In more recent times, she has captured the Household Cavalry on Holkham beach and re-creating a horse-drawn lifeboat launch at Wells for a TV commercial, along with kitesurfers and poppy fields.
She has had a home off Thornham Green, where the village peters out into salt marsh, since the late 1950s.
'When I got it, it was a two-up, two-down,' she said. 'It's grown slightly, it's glorious. When I was first here, I used to have a shed in the garden.'
Familiar, timeless views of unspoilt Norfolk hang from seemingly every wall.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 5 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 6 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 7 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 8 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 9 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 10 Mobile home fire spreads to nearby properties
Shirly Carnt is having an open studio from Saturday, August 20 - Friday, September 9, at Coastguard House, the Green, Thornham.