Artist Shirley Carnt opens her studio on the salt marsh at Thornham
- Credit: Archant
An artist who captures wide open skies and seascapes on the Norfolk coast is hosting an open studio.
Shirley Carnt draws her inspiration from the beaches and downs around her home beside the marsh at Thornham.
Now in her 80s, she can remember when spritsail barges sailed into the harbour from Newcastle to replenish the Coal Barn.
In more recent times, she has captured the Household Cavalry on Holkham beach and re-creating a horse-drawn lifeboat launch at Wells for a TV commercial, along with kitesurfers and poppy fields.
She has had a home off Thornham Green, where the village peters out into salt marsh, since the late 1950s.
You may also want to watch:
'When I got it, it was a two-up, two-down,' she said. 'It's grown slightly, it's glorious. When I was first here, I used to have a shed in the garden.'
Familiar, timeless views of unspoilt Norfolk hang from seemingly every wall.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 8 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 9 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 10 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
Shirly Carnt is having an open studio from Saturday, August 20 - Friday, September 9, at Coastguard House, the Green, Thornham.