Army veteran from Attleborough and his daughter to fly the flag for SSAFA
- Credit: Archant
An army veteran and his daughter will have the honour of carrying an armed forces charity's banner onto the field at Twickenham Stadium.
Dave Bickle, 51, and Amiee Bickle, 23, will be among a group of six bearing the banner for SSAFA before the England v. South Africa rugby match tomorrow (Saturday, November 12).
Mr Bickle said he was delighted to have been asked to represent SSAFA, which comes after taking part in a charity cycle.
He said: 'I was with a group of 50 others who did a charity bike ride to the Somme to raise money for SSAFA - I raised over £4,000 and the whole group raised more than £100,000.
'So they invited us to be among the group that carries the banner out onto the ground - it's a way of saying thank you.'
Mr Bickle is chairman of Attleborough's British Legion branch, having spent 23 years in the Royal Engineers.
He said he was pleased to have supported such an important charity.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
he said: 'I'm an ex-serviceman myself so SSAFA is very close to my heart. They support not only people active in the services, but also those no longer active and their families.
'It's quite nice to get the recognition to be able to do this and it's very poignant as well because it's Remembrance weekend.'
The charity bike ride took place over three days and followed the route undertaken by the army cycle battalions during the Battle of the Somme battle in 1916.