Appeal for Lowestoft advice centre
An appeal has been launched to help fit out a new centre in Lowestoft to provide advice and help to older people across Waveney.
In July, Age UK Suffolk will be opening the new help centre at 112, London Road North to provide advice, information on benefits and befriending and home visit services.
It will also offer confidential one-to-one support to the increasing number of older people in Waveney and their families and carers.
But the charity needs �40,000 to refurbish the empty retail unit, install disabled access and toilet facilities and provide office equipment for the centre which, it says, will be 'a vital first port of call for older people'.
Age UK Suffolk has drawn up plans for the centre to replace its help desk office in Station Square which has become too cramped for its needs, has access issues and is in a poor state of repair.
You may also want to watch:
Maggie James, Age UK Suffolk's fund-raising and development officer, said: 'We are delighted to be relocating to new premises and providing a brand new help centre which should enable us to provide support to more older people and their family carers.'
Last year, Age UK Suffolk dealt with 1,073 telephone inquiries and 844 visits in Lowestoft and the surrounding area. Its benefit advice service received 534 referrals and secured nearly �1m of benefits for older people in Waveney.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 9 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
To make a donation to the centre appeal, send a cheque payable to Age UK Suffolk to Maggie James, Age UK Suffolk, 14 Hillview Business park, Old Ipswich Road, Claydon, Ipswich IP6 0AJ.