Appeal for former workmates of Lowestoft man who died from asbestos-related cancer
- Credit: Archant
The family of a Lowestoft labourer who died of asbestos-related cancer are appealing for his former workmates to come forward and help them understand how he could have developed the disease.
Charlie Forder was 58 when he died from mesothelioma – a cancer of the lining of the lung associated with exposure to deadly asbestos dust.
The father-of-three battled the illness for 18 months before his death in August this year.
After receiving his diagnosis in February 2016, Mr Forder instructed asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help gain answers about how he came into contact with asbestos.
His long term partner Michelle Reeder has spoken of her family's desperation to uncover the truth.
She said: 'While nothing can change what has happened we are desperate to understand how Charlie developed this illness and will also wonder whether more could have been done to protect him.
'It's truly devastating to see how mesothelioma affected him in the final months of his life and we are still trying to come to terms with our loss.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 4 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
- 5 Men fined more than £600 for fishing illegally
- 6 Norwich man in court over £3.5m whiskey theft
- 7 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 8 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 9 'Mishap' at historic hotel as van crashes into entrance wall
- 10 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
'We would be hugely grateful to anyone who can come forward and help us in our loss.'
It is believed the exposure to asbestos occurred when Mr Forder worked as a builders' labourer in the mid to late 1970s.
During his time he is known to have used a wire brush and sandpaper to rub down asbestos drainpipes, guttering and soffits. Bathrooms also contained asbestos and Mr Forder may have been exposed when carrying out renovation work in properties, his family believe.
Martyn Hayward, who represents Mr Forder's family, said: 'This is yet another tragic case which highlights the devastating impact asbestos exposure and mesothelioma has on victims.
'We are determined to help his family gain answers about how he was exposed to asbestos.'
An inquest into Mr Forder's death was opened and adjourned on October 2 with no date set for its conclusion.
If anyone worked alongside Mr Forder and has information, they can call Mr Hayward on 01223 791830 or 0370 1500 100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org