Acclaimed author Anthony McGowan launches literacy scheme at Gorleston academies
- Credit: neaco
An acclaimed author visited to schools in the Great Yarmouth borough to help promote literacy among pupils.
Anthony McGowan, who writes novels for both adults and children, visited Cliff Park and Ormiston Venture Academies as he launched an initiative called Undercover Readers.
The scheme aims to ignite a passion for literature in youngsters and encourage them to express themselves through creative writing.
The project is organised by Take Your Place, a programme set out by the Network for East Anglian Collaborative Outreach, aiming to create more opportunities for pupils to go onto higher education.
Mr McGowan told pupils: 'To become a good writer, first you need to be a reader. The more you read, the better your writing will become.'
You may also want to watch:
Ian McInally, Ormiston Venture Academy assistant principal, said: 'This is such an imporant opportunity for these students - the joy and understanding of language was really emphasised by Mr McGowan.'
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 3 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 6 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 7 Queen spends the night in hospital, Palace confirms
- 8 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
- 9 VIDEO: Cantwell missing as City prepare for Chelsea trip
- 10 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"