‘Anglian Water is holding Sheringham to ransom’ - Businesses hit out at road closure
- Credit: Archant
Businesses have hit out at Anglian Water following the closure of a busy shopping street in Sheringham, which they claim has affected trade.
The company was called out to Station Road ealier in the week to carry out emergency repair work to a leaking section of water pipe.
But Helen Sidell, who runs Claws 'N' Paws pet shop in the road, said it had affected their trade.
She said: 'There's been a lack of footfall and people coming in to the shop. I think they saw the road was closed and gave up on it.
'Anglian Water is holding Sheringham to ransom, disgraceful! Road closures for three days, inexcusable! Businesses are suffering.'
You may also want to watch:
An Anglian Water spokesperson said: 'We're sorry for any disruption caused by our emergency repair work on Station Road, Sheringham.
'Engineers have been working to repair a leaking section of water pipe located in the middle of the road.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
'In order to keep our staff and customers safe whilst the essential repair work was completed the road had to be closed. A diversion route is in place.
'The pipe has now been repaired and Anglian Water teams will be working to refill the excavation and resurface the road. The road will be fully reopened tomorrow (Friday, July 14).'
Has your business been affected by the road closure? Email firstname.lastname@example.org