An ‘immensely likeable’ Norwich restaurant named in SquareMeal UK’s top 100 spots
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2012
A popular city restaurant is raising a glass after winning an AA 'Notable Wines Award' and a top 100 ranking in SquareMeal's best UK regional restaurant survey.
Roger Hickman's, located on Upper St Giles Street in Norwich, has been voted the 52nd best regional restaurant in the country by SquareMeal, which sees thousands of reviewers and diners take part.
The prestigious ranking rates the country's top 100 dining establishments outside London.
The restaurant was one of three in the county to make the prestigious list for 2017, with Benedicts in Norwich ranked at 75 and Morston Hall coming in at 83.
MORE: Norfolk restaurants named in The Good Food Guide 2018In the guide, the restaurant was described as 'immensely likeable' and praised for its 'sharply designed seasonable flavours' and 'courteous and affable' service.
The restaurant, which also holds three AA Rosettes for culinary excellence, has also won a Notable Wine List Award for the variety and quality of its drinks - putting it in the top 200 restaurant wine lists in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
This is the third year in a row the restaurant has won the award in recognition of its impressive list, which includes around 120 wines sourced for a variety of regional and national wine merchants.
Chef-proprietor Roger Hickman said: 'We are delighted to receive these two accolades.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 4 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
'The SquareMeal award is voted for by thousands of real diners and then moderated by a team of professional reviewers, so it is a really meaningful award.
'We are very proud to be named the best restaurant in Norfolk, and in the Top 100 regional restaurants nationally.
'The AA Notable Wine List award goes alongside our three AA Rosettes, and is recognition of the significant effort we put into ensuring our wine list complements the food that we serve.'
Roger Hickman's Restaurant opened in 2010 and also featured in The Good Food Guide 2018.