Amnesty knives handed in at Lowestoft, Kessingland, Halesworth, Beccles, Mildenhall and Bury St Edmunds to be shredded this week
More than 6,100 knives and other bladed items left in Bin a Blade bins across Suffolk throughout last year are to be shredded and disposed off safely tomorrow.
Most of the 6,125 knives and similar objects left in bins will be shredded at Sackers Recycling at Great Blakenham, near Ipswich.
The large haul of bladed items were deposited in Bin a Blade bins as part of a year long knife amnesty to help rid the streets of Suffolk of potentially dangerous weapons.
During the amnesty 1,784 knives were left at a bin outside Lowestoft police station, 1,029 were left at the one at Bury St Edmunds police station, and 145 were deposited at Mildenhall police station.
The amnesty also saw temporary bins set up at Beccles, where 123 knives were left, Halesworth, which had 68 items left, and at Kessingland, near Lowestoft, which saw 13 items left.
You may also want to watch:
Bins were also at Ipswich, Felixstowe, Haverhill, Leiston, Stowmarket, Sudbury, Woodbridge, Newmarket and Needham Market.
Some of knives from the Bin a Blade bins will be made into an award by inventor and designer Rex Garrod while the rest will be shredded free of charge by Sackers Recycling.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 8 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 9 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 10 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
Inspired by anti-knife crime campaigner Holly Watson, from Sudbury, the Bin a Blade amnesty was launched in December 2010