“Amazing” turnout for Thetford’s 200th parkrun
- Credit: Ian Burt
When a community running event was set up in Thetford more than three years ago there were doubters who said it would never take off.
However the doomsayers have been firmly proven wrong as Thetford parkrun celebrated its 200th event today.
In what organisers called an amazing turn out, today's event saw 223 runners of all ages and 23 volunteers and pacesetters take over Abbey Meadows on a 5k course.
Thetford parkun was formed in February 2013 and saw 90 participants take part in its first event.
Run co-ordinator Mel Floyd, who helped to set up the group, started off Saturday's run and told the runners that those who had said Thetford parkrun would never succeed had been proved wrong.
You may also want to watch:
Before she started the event there was a surprise presentation for Mrs Floyd with fellow race organiser Robert Whittaker saying: 'She has been here from start, through the thick and thin.'
Thetford parkrun takes place every Saturday at 9am. It is free to take part and people are asked to register in advance of taking part in their first one.
For more information click here
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 9 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
- 10 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road