Town's amazing response to Christmas appeal
- Credit: Chris Bishop
A mayor has been blown away by the response to his town's Christmas appeal.
Hundreds of gifts for all ages have been donated to Hunstanton Town Council.
Mayor Tony Bishopp said: "I expected maybe 50 gifts but the response has been fantastic."
The council chamber at the town hall overlooking The Green is piled with everything from toys and toiletries to knitted hats. A further appeal has been launched online, click here to donate.
Maureen Howard, the council's portfolio holder for community engagement, said the appeal would be open until Wednesday, December 9.
Toys and gifts for younger children, along with female toiletries would be particularly welcome. Mr Bishopp said items donated will be given to people of all ages in need of an extra smile this Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
"We'd like to hear from people if they know of anybody - off the record - who might need help," he said. "We'll maybe put a little parcel together for them."
The council is also running competition for the best display of Christmas lights in the town, with judging due on December 14. First prize is £100 in vouchers to spend in local shops.
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 3 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 6 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 7 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 8 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 9 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
- 10 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
For more information, contact the town clerk on 01485 532402 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.