All six beaches in north Norfolk have excellent bathing water
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
North Norfolk really is the best place to swim with all six Blue Flag award-winning beaches judged to have excellent bathing water by the government.
Sheringham, West Runton, East Runton, Cromer, Mundesley, and Sea Palling were classified by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).
Water is tested at beaches every week over the summer months and each year the government publishes the results, which rate bathing water as either excellent, good, sufficient or poor. Nationally, 270 locations (65.4pc of those measured) were classed as excellent in 2017.
Maggie Prior, North Norfolk District Council cabinet member for culture and leisure, said: 'It's absolutely wonderful that the quality of our beaches has been recognised in this national bathing water classification.
'We all know that north Norfolk is a great holiday and resort destination and this latest rating goes to prove that people who come here know a good thing when they see it.'
You may also want to watch:
The water quality classification will be a key factor in the award of Blue Flags for next year.
The news was welcomed by councillors along the coast.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 4 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 8 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 9 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
- 10 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
Ward member for Sea Palling Richard Price said: 'I am not surprised that our wonderful Blue Flag beach has been assessed as having excellent clean water, that's just one of the reasons why people come back year after year.'
Hilary Cox, ward member for Cromer Town, added: 'This is a wonderful achievement proving that the seas off our resorts are the best. It's important not only for residents and visitors but for our local fishing industry too.'
John Lee, ward member for Suffield Park, said: 'I'd like to thank everybody from Anglian Water to all those people who give their time to keep our beaches clean for ensuring our beaches and bathing water keep winning these accolades.'
Judy Oliver, ward member for Sheringham South, thanked everyone for working so hard to help the town maintain its Blue Flag status.
And Sarah Butikofer, ward member for the Runtons, said: 'This announcement just reinforces the message that our beaches are amongst the best in the country. Something we as locals already know.'