All out of surgery, op done - injured King’s Lynn player Ryan Hawkins is on the mend

Ryan Hwwkins, who suffered a gashed leg on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Usher.

Ryan Hwwkins, who suffered a gashed leg on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Usher. - Credit: Matthew Usher

A young footballer who suffered a horrific leg injury today said he was on the road to recovery.

Ryan Hawkins in the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. Picture: George Gagen

Ryan Hawkins in the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. Picture: George Gagen - Credit: Archant

King's Lynn Town striker Ryan Hawkins was left with a six-inch gash down his left shin after a tackle during the Linnets' game with Cirencester on Saturday.

He was flown to hospital in nearby Cheltenham by air ambulance, where he had surgery to remove tissue damage, repair a tendon and have the wound stitched up.

'I took on three players and one of their players slid in and caught me in the shin,' he said. 'His studs went right through my shin through the bone to my tendons.

'The ambulance was called, the physio was really good, their players were really good.'

You may also want to watch:

The day after his emergency operation, Linnets fans Steve and Yvonne Granger gave Mr Hawkins a lift to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, where he underwent further surgery yesterday.

'I've currently got a cast on it and I'm waiting for the physio to see if I can go home,' said Mr Hawkins, who lives in Mattishall, near Dereham.

Most Read

'It didn't hurt when I did it, it just didn't look very nice. I got injured last year, I did my ankle in, but this was worse than that. It wasn't very pleasant for the players or anyone who saw it.'

Mr Hawkins said he hoped to return to the pitch as soon as possible, adding: 'I doubt I'll be able to play this season, I don't want to push it, they said six or eight weeks.'

The UEA sports coaching student tweeted after his first operation: 'Thank you all for your kind words, I'm fine people, now travelling back to Norwich hospital, op in the morning with the plastic surgeon.'

Yesterday, he added: 'All out of surgery op done, damaged tendon repaired cut cleaned and stitched up, love you all.' Lynn went on to draw 1 - 1 with Westcountry side Cirencester after Mr Hawkins was airlifted for emergency treatment.

Fan King's Lynn Ultras tweeted after the game: 'Only one team on that pitch, everyone was superb - @RyanHawkins05 only way they could stop you mate, unplayable. Speedy recovery.' Football reporter Greg Plumber added: 'Another point for @officialKLtown in 1-1 draw at @CirenTownFC this afternoon but the game is marred by a serious injury to @RyanHawkins05.'

Mr Hawkins is vowing to return to the pitch as soon as possible. He tweeted soon after the game: 'Im all fine, Hawkins will be back.'

Ryan Elton added: 'Hoping for speedy & quality recovery for my bro @RyanHawkins05 - too good for that level. Minor setbacks, major comebacks.'

Last night Mr Hawkins admitted he would be happy for a Nandos.

King's Lynn Reserves won their game against March Town 3 - 0 on Saturday.

Manager Rob Back said: 'Great win by the lads today, I am sure all the team will want to dedicate the win to @RyanHawkins05 who got a terrible injury today.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus