Ale drinkers raise �2,700 for Norfolk Wildlife Trust through Woodforde’s Once Bittern
Ale drinkers have helped to raise �2,700 to protect wildlife habitats across Norfolk by drinking more than a quarter of a million pints in the last year.
Woodforde's brewery, based in Woodbastwick, teamed up with the Norfolk Wildlife Trust in February 2011 to produce Once Bittern, a Norfolk ale made from Maris Otter malted barley grown within the county.
For every pint sold Woodforde's pledged to make a donation to the Norfolk Wildlife Trust and the scheme has now raised �2,700 to help support species such as the beer's namesake, the endangered Bittern.
Brendan Joyce, chief executive of the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, said: 'Both Norfolk Wildlife Trust and Woodforde's champion the abundant natural wealth of Norfolk and we are thrilled to see the success of Once Bittern.
'This money will go towards projects to help the Bittern and the county's other wildlife at habitats in Norfolk, in particular at the Wissey Valley Living Landscape.'
You may also want to watch:
As well as becoming a permanent brew for Woodforde's, Once Bittern was awarded GOLD for Best Bitter at the SIBA East of England beer competition in 2011.
Dennis Nudd, director of Woodforde's, added: 'We're delighted that the partnership has proved so fruitful for the Norfolk Wildlife Trust and also the protection of the unique Norfolk environment.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 4 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 5 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 6 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 7 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 8 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 9 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
- 10 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
'Since Once Bittern has been so warmly received we've made it one of our permanent beers.
'It will therefore continue to be widely available in pubs throughout East Anglia and for each pint sold a donation will continue to be made to this worthy Norfolk cause.'
Once Bittern is 4pc in strength and described by Woodforde's as 'a copper-coloured ale made from a special blend of high quality Norfolk ingredients and has a distinctive aroma of sweet malt, rich spice and citrus fruit with a dry finish'. It is also now available in bottles.