Search

Aerial images shows the change of Flixton Hall near Bungay since Second World War

PUBLISHED: 16:44 30 December 2017

Aerial view of Flixton Hall, December 2017. Picture: John Fielding

Aerial view of Flixton Hall, December 2017. Picture: John Fielding

John Fielding

A 17th century country house in the Flixton countryside, near Bungay, once stood as a magnificent mansion steeped with history.

Aerial view of Flixton Hall, December 2017. Picture: John FieldingAerial view of Flixton Hall, December 2017. Picture: John Fielding

But as these aerial images show, almost nothing remains of Flixton Hall, home to the Adair family for nearly 200 years.

The pictures, taken by John Fielding, of Upton Road, Norwich, recreate an image taken in 1944 by the US Army Air Force who were based in the nearby RAF Bungay station.

North East view of Flixton Hall and Park. Top picture taken in 1944 by U.S. Flixton 446th Bomb Group. Bottom picture taken in December 2017. Picture: U.S. Flixton 446th Bomb Group/John FieldingNorth East view of Flixton Hall and Park. Top picture taken in 1944 by U.S. Flixton 446th Bomb Group. Bottom picture taken in December 2017. Picture: U.S. Flixton 446th Bomb Group/John Fielding

Built around 1615, the Jacobean-style mansion set in wooded parkland and open gardens was acquired by the Adairs in the early 18th century. It was destroyed by a fire in 1846 and subsequent repairs took close to a decade to complete.

Major General Sir Allan Shafto Adair, 6th Baronet, sold the hall and the surrounding 250 acres of land to a private seller in 1950. Within two years the hall was demolished and a piece of Suffolk’s history disappeared.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 9°C

min temp: 4°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast