Acle Army cadet appointed top role
- Credit: Archant
A dedicated army cadet's outstanding contribution to his force and wider community has earned him a role which will see him in the limelight at top county events.
Cadet Sgt William Key of Acle Troop made it through a strict selection process and interview to be appointed to the position of Norfolk Army Cadet Force's Lord Lieutenant's Cadet at a ceremony in Norwich.
Three positions were appointed with the Army Cadet Force, the Air Training Corps and the Sea Cadet Corps each providing a representative.
The appointment will involve assisting Lord Lieutenant for Norfolk Richard Jewson at formal military events.
The cadet attending will be decided by the service involved, with all three in attendance at events like Remembrance Day.
You may also want to watch:
Apart from being classed as an outstanding cadet, the holder needed to be able to commit to a full year-long appointment while remaining a serving cadet.
The 16-year-old who is also head boy at Acle Academy said: 'I am very excited and honoured to have been chosen and can't wait to start my duties.'
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 'Pray for Paul today' - wife's plea as gallbladder op victim faces surgery
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
Sgt Key was closely involved in organising the Acle celebrations for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and also in promoting the Poppy Appeal in both the town and his school.
In 2011 he was one of only twelve cadets selected to participate in the international cadet exchange exercise to Canada. Sgt Key has represented the region at national cross country and has been selected to attend the national Master Cadet Course at Frimley Park in Surrey.