Man arrested in connection with lorry hit and run on A47
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
A man has been arrested in connection with a lorry hit and run on the A47 which has left a cyclist seriously injured in hospital.
Police were called to the scene at around 5.30am today after reports of a man lying in the road on the A47 eastbound carriageway.
Further enquiries revealed the man had been cycling between the Thickthorn and A140 junctions when the crash occurred.
The witness who reported the crash said they saw the driver of the lorry stop and check around the vehicle before driving on in the direction of Great Yarmouth. The circumstances surrounding the clash remain unclear.
An ambulance was called at around 5.40am and treated a man in his 30s with a serious head injury. He was then taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
The cyclist is believed to have sustained life changing injuries.
Officers have since traced the white DAF lorry and arrested a man in connection with the crash.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 10 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
The man, who is in his 40s and from Hertfordshire, is due to be questioned by officers later today.
Police want to hear from anyone who may have seen the collision or seen the cyclist or the lorry before the crash.
Anyone with information or dashcam footage should contact PC Andrew Lincoln on 101.