Driver flees after multi-vehicle crash closes A47
- Credit: Archant
The A47 has now re-opened after a crash near Wisbech.
It was closed in both directions for more than two hours after a collision involving three vehicles at the junction with Meadowgate Lane, on the outskirts of Wisbech. A woman and a child were injured.
Police say the driver of one of the vehicles involved fled the scene of the crash on foot. A spokesman said: "Efforts are ongoing to trace him."
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk fire service said appliances from Wisbech and Downham Market attended the collision.
It said crews used hydraulic rescue equipment to free casualties.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 3 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 4 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 5 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 6 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 7 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 8 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
- 9 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 10 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
The East of England Ambulance Service said two ambulances and a rapid response vehicle were sent to the crash scene.
A spokesman said: "We treated a child and a woman at the scene and transported them to Peterborough General Hospital for further treatment."
The road was closed between the A1101 Elm roundabout and the junction with the B198 Lynn Road at Walsoken. There wre long tailbacks and drivers faced 30-minute delays.
The junction with Meadowgate Lane is a notorious accident blackspot. Traffic pulls straight out of a country lane onto the main A47.