A140 reopened after two killed in crash close to Norfolk/Suffolk border

Scene of roadblock following crash on A140 at Yaxley. Photo: Steve Adams.

Scene of roadblock following crash on A140 at Yaxley. Photo: Steve Adams. - Credit: Archant

The A140 has reopened this morning after two people died in a crash at Yaxley, near Diss.

Emergency services were called to reports of a crash involving a car and an HGV in the Suffolk village, which is close to the border with Norfolk, at just after 8.20pm last night.

This morning the A140 in Yaxley remained shut in both directions between the B1117 Yaxley Road junction and the B1077 junction until around 7.30am today.

A spokesman in the Suffolk police control room confirmed there were two fatalities in the car.

The driver of the HGV has been treated by ambulance crews for shock.

The road is reopen and investigations are underway to establish the cause of the crash.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) said they were called to reports of the crash and sent two ambulance crews and an ambulance officer.

Most Read

The spokesman said further resources, including the East Anglian Air Ambulance, were travelling to the crash but were stood down after it was established there was nothing that could be done.

He confirmed there were two fatalities and that the HGV driver was being treated for minor injuries, although it was not clear if he was going to be taken to hospital.

The deaths last night were the fifth on the county's roads in four days after tragedies at Frostenden and Snape on Thursday.

Firefighters were the first on scene at Frostenden, following reports of a vehicle on fire in Primrose Lane at 1.14am on Thursday morning.

They had the blaze under control within half-an-hour but were unable to save the victims, who were both pronounced dead at the scene.

A 46-year-old man from the local area was killed when the van he was driving crashed into The Crown Inn, in Bridge Street, Snape. He is yet to be officially named.

Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner Tim Passmore, who is also a Mid Suffolk District Councillor, said: 'I was extremely saddened once again to hear of further fatalities on our roads this evening.

'It's devastating for all concerned and of course my thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies go out to the relatives and friends of the bereaved.

'I don't know the specific details of this accident but I can only implore every road user to take extra care while driving, especially at this time of the year.'

More than 30 people have died on Suffolk's roads in 2015, exceeding the number of those involved in fatal collisions last year.

In June after a woman died in a crash in Great Barton, near Bury St Edmunds, Mr Passmore said: 'This clearly demonstrates that we do need to take the level of fatal collisions on Suffolk's roads very seriously.

'We need to look at the evidence and see what we can do collectively to reduce these terrible situations.

'Dealing with this has now got to be a really top priority.

'We have to treat it with the utmost urgency to see what we can do to turn this situation around.'