A12 bascule bridge closures mean more disruption in Lowestoft
MOTORISTS in Lowestoft face more disruption later this month when the A12 Bascule Bridge is closed for further maintenance.
The bridge will be closed overnight for four nights in late September and, potentially, a further four nights in November to allow a fault on one of its hydraulic units to be investigated and repaired.
The hydraulic units are part of the system which lifts the bridge to allow harbour traffic to pass underneath.
Brian Pitkin, project manager at the Highways Agency, which is carrying out the work, said: 'Repairs to a faulty hydraulic unit on the north side of the bridge were completed in June. However, further checks of the other hydraulic units have revealed that there may be a similar fault in one of the units that lift the south side of the bridge.
'We know how much people in Lowestoft depend on the Bascule Bridge every day, by both road and water. We're committed to keeping delays to an absolute minimum throughout this work. By carrying out the work overnight, and by avoiding the busy Friday and Saturday night periods, we hope to achieve this.'
You may also want to watch:
Investigations will take place overnight – 8pm to 6am – from Sunday, September 25 to Wednesday, September 28. If repairs are required, there will be further closures between Sunday, November 13 and Wednesday, November 16. No closures are planned for Friday or Saturday nights when the bridge is used more frequently by pedestrians.
During the closures, a free bus service around the diversion route will be provided for pedestrians.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 4 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
Advanced signing and a signed diversion route will also be in place.