Cyclist found riding along A11 at night in the snow was ‘barely visible’ without reflective clothing, police say
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A cyclist was found trying to ride along the A11 in the dark as snow fell, with no reflective clothing to make him visible to cars passing by at up to 70mph.
Police in Mildenhall said the rider was 'hardly visible' when they came across him on the busy dual carriageway during the evening of Saturday, March 17.
Officers stressed that the man was not arrested as he was not doing anything illegal, adding: 'We just popped him and his bike into the van and took him safely home. He was very appreciative.'
The officers took to Twitter to say: 'Scooped up a man trying to cycle the #A11, no reflective clothing - hardly visible in the snow!!'
The Highway Code says that cyclists should wear 'light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light'.
You may also want to watch:
It also advises riders to wear 'reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark'.
Mildenhall Police Tweeted additional advice after the incident. 'Please take care of yourself in this weather,' officers said. If you're driving, make sure lights are on. If you're walking/cycling, light coloured/reflective clothing & a torch are essential!'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 7 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 8 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft