Man suffers life-threatening injuries in crash which closed A11 for several hours
- Credit: Archant
A man has been airlifted to hospital with life-threatening injuries following a crash between four cars.
At around 3.10pm, emergency services were called to the A11, between Thickthorn and Attleborough, following a crash involving four cars - including a Jaguar and a Ford Mondeo.
The crash happened in the carriageway heading towards Norwich, however, police closed the road in both directions to allow the East of England Air Ambulance to land at the scene.
A spokesman for Norfolk Constabulary said at the time the road was likely to be closed “for the foreseeable” while emergency services treat to the people involved and the vehicles are recovered.
Traffic was being diverted away from the scene via the old A11.
You may also want to watch:
The northbound carriageway was re-opened at around 4.30pm, but the southbound carriageway remained closed for some time, reopening just before 1am.
The police spokesman said that “multiple” people had suffered injuries in the crash, including one man who was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital via air ambulance with “significant and life-threatening injuries”.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Police called to reports of young men climbing up crane in Norwich
- 6 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 7 Water outages hit homes across city
- 8 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 9 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 10 People released from car after crash closes road
The cars involved were a black Jaguar, a silver Ford Mondeo, a silver Ford Focus and a fourth car, which the police did not provide details of.
The road remained closed throughout Sunday afternoon and well into the evening, with diversions in place for more than six hours while the vehicles were recovered as investigations were carried out.
Anybody who witnessed the crash or has dashcam footage of it is urged to contact Norfolk Constabulary on 101 quoting incident number 195 of November 22.