“A Norwich City legend in every sense of the word” - tributes to Canaries stalwart Peter Oldfield
- Credit: Archant � 2010
Norwich City Football Club have led the tributes to one of their stalwart employees who sadly died this weekend.
Peter Oldfield had worked in many roles at Carrow Road before passing away at the weekend following an illness.
The tributes were led by the club, released a statement describing Mr Oldfield as a 'valued colleague' who would be 'sorely missed'.
A spokesman for the club said: 'Everyone at Norwich City Football Club was saddened to learn of the passing of Peter Oldfield on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
'Peter was a valued colleague to staff and players on matchdays for many years, with his enthusiasm and love for Norwich City shining through in various roles behind the scenes at home games.
'His illness had prevented Peter from working at as many matches as he would have liked this season, but when able to attend he continued to put smiles on faces around Carrow Road.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
'Peter will be sorely missed by everyone at the Club and our thoughts and best wishes are with his family and loved ones at this time.'
Peter Mendham, ex-Norwich City player from 1976 to 1986, also paid tribute to Mr Oldfield, who said he was 'a Norwich City legend in every sense of the word'.
'My sincere condolences and thoughts to his wife Carolyn,' he said.
'I have known Peter for many, many years and it has been a real pleasure to work with him working in hospitality behind the scenes at Norwich City.
Friend Trevor Mayes said Mr Oldham had been 'full of enthusiasm' after getting to know him while he did the man of the match awards.
'It feels like I had known of him a lot longer from often seeing Peter flitting around on a match day always with a smile on his face,' he said.
'Peter would come past us and stop and have a quick chat and a hand shake.'
Shaun Van Looy, who met Mr Oldfield working at Hilton Hotels, said he had been 'the best friend and kindest person you could ever meet'.
'He was yellow and green through and through, a role model and laugh a minute,' said Mr Van Looy. 'We will all miss him dearly - from football to golf he had many friends.'
Would you like to pay tribute to Mr Oldfield? Email firstname.lastname@example.org