‘A huge weight off my mind’
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
As we look at the work Time Norfolk do for those who have experienced a pregnancy loss through miscarriage, termination or still birth, one former client tells her story.
Names have been changed to protect her identity.
She said: 'I decided to come to TimeNorfolk following the stillbirth of my son, John*, who was 26 weeks gestation. I had been given a card by the hospital chaplain and also by a neighbour.
'While the support from my family and friends was excellent, there were things I felt I needed to talk about which I couldn't do with them.
'For instance, when telling a close friend about my experience, she became upset, upset for me about what had happened and then I felt I couldn't share any more information with her, even though I needed to, for the worry of upsetting her further.
You may also want to watch:
'I was nervous at first about having counselling, and I attended the first session with my partner, Carl.
'We then had separate sessions with two counsellors, who we know are specially trained in pregnancy issues.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 4 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
'I have found having counselling invaluable.
'I am an anxious person anyway, and since my stillbirth I have experienced a huge range of emotions and have found myself to be very anxious and at times depressed.
'Knowing I have someone to talk to who will not judge and who fully understands my experience has been a huge weight off my mind.
'By talking through my feelings it has helped me deal with what happened.
'I know I still have work to do but I feel that I am improving emotionally and recovering, which I would not have been able to do without the support of TimeNorfolk.'