Ukip candidate in Great Yarmouth shows audience a photo of her Jamaican husband in bid to dispense perceptions of racism in her party
- Credit: Archant
The Ukip parliamentary candidate in Great Yarmouth is challenging the perception of racism in her party.
Speaking at a hustings event at East Coast College in Great Yarmouth, Catherine Blaiklock showed the audience a framed photograph of herself with her husband.
In her introductory remarks, she told the youngsters she had a Jamaican husband and added that her first husband was from Nepal and her two children were half-Nepalese.
MORE: College students quiz election candidatesMrs Blaiklock said she wanted to dispel a negative image of her party.
As an organisation, Ukip has been dogged by scandals involving racism.
You may also want to watch:
All the way back in 2006, the then Conservative leader of the opposition David Cameron infamously called Ukip a party of 'fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists.'
He drew criticism from the then Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, who demanded an apology, which he never received.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 4 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 5 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 6 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 10 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night