74-year-old Beccles resident completes 192-mile walk for local charity
A 74-year-old resident from Beccles completed his latest walking challenge today – all to raise money for a local hospital.
Brian Keable, of St George's Road, has walked 192-miles to complete a coast to coast journey and to raise money for The League of Friends of Beccles and District War Memorial Hospital.
The former naval engineer did the journey with his 64-year-old brother Nigel Godley, from America.
He said: 'We have wanted to do this for over three years now. I have done it once before and it was a brilliant experience.
'It was really good, very tiring but worth it. I found some nice places to stay on the way and I met some really friendly people.'
You may also want to watch:
The walk saw the brothers starting in St Bees Head in Cumbria and finishing today at Robin Hood's Bay in Whitby.
Mr Keable's wife Doreen said: 'They've had some awful weather. It was really windy but they have enjoyed it. They've loved the scenery and walking alongside the river and in the Dales.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 7 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 8 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 9 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 10 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
'I just think it's amazing he wants to do it and can do it at his age.'
The great-grandfather has previously completed the Bungay Half Marathon, the 1999 London Marathon, the Three Peaks in the Yorkshire Dales, and a 50-mile bike ride, all for local charities.
He said: 'I think it's very important to keep active especially for the elderly.'
Mr Keable said he wanted to raise the money for Beccles Hospital because 'it is a very important place and is used a lot.'
So far the duo have raised about �200 but donations are still coming in.
Mrs Keable added: 'Any money he can raise is good. A little amount goes a long way.'
• If you would like to donate please call Doreen Keable on 01502 712312 or Maureen Saunders on 01502 714911.