7 reasons why Norfolk is a great place to raise a family
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
According to a new study by uSwitch, Norfolk is the seventh best place to raise a family in the UK, with Hertfordshire being ranked the overall best. Here's a look at some of the reasons why Norfolk may have landed among the top ten.
• There's so much to see and do
Kathyrn Wiseman on Twitter revealed the reason she moved back to Norfolk to raise her family was due to the 'wonderful places to just enjoy family time' and from local attractions to community events and festivals, there's so much to do in Norfolk that you and your children will always be spoiled for choice when it comes to family days out.
• It's a safe area
Kim Wright from Norwich told us on Twitter that she thought Norfolk 'feels safer' than other places and according to UKCrimeStats.com she's not wrong. In June this year a total of 6,294 crimes were committed across the county, which was 2,383 less crimes than in Hertfordshire, uSwitch's top ranking place to raise a family.
• Some top schools can be found here
The folks over at Cromer Beachcomber Guest House told us they received a 'great education' in Norfolk, and with schools such as Norwich School, where 100pc of students achieved A*-C grades in their English and Maths GCSEs this year, and Norwich High School for Girls where 99pc achieved the same results, it isn't very hard to see why.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 3 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 4 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 5 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 6 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 7 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 8 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 9 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 10 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
• It's full of culture
You can introduce your child to all of the cultural offerings Norfolk has to give, from spectacular shows at the county's many theatres and art centres, to a range of museums, exhibitions and galleries, not forgetting that Norwich is one of only twenty UNESCO Cities of Literature worldwide and thus offers a range of incredible bookshops, courses and events for budding writers and book lovers to enjoy.
• You can take relaxing trips to the beach or the broads whenever you like
What better way to get your children outdoors and active than to take them to one of the county's areas of outstanding natural beauty and discover all that nature has to offer. Explore Whitlingham or stroll along the golden sands of Brancaster where you can easily lose yourself in the peace of it all for a little while.
• It offers a wealth of opportunities for your child's future
Not only does it boast many great schools, it's also where you'll find the University of East Anglia, one of the country's top Higher Education institutions. As well as this, Norfolk is home to many successful big name business which offer internships, work experience placements, training courses and permanent positions that could one day help your child kick start their career.
• It's not all about the kids, parents will be happy here as well
Earlier this year Norwich was announced as the happiest city to work in the UK, following a study conducted by business psychologists OPP which revealed that 77pc of residents in the fine city had said they loved their job. Nova Fairbank from the Norfolk Chamber of Commerce was not surprised by the results, she said: 'With Norfolk being a great place to live and work, it is not hard to understand why of employees in Norwich are happy. Our region boasts not only business excellence, but also a lifestyle that helps attract and retain many employees in this area.'
• What do you think makes Norfolk a great place to raise a family? Let us know in the comments below.