Few who roam the streets of Norwich are aware of the depth or colour of their history.

The city can be dated back to around 80AD when the Iceni tribe occupied the area.

The Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Normans all settled in the following centuries, each leaving their own unique mark on the landscape.

Road names are one way for local historians to track which parts of the city were used for different purposes over time.

With this in mind, here are the stories behind five of Norwich's most wandered streets.

1. Cattle Market Street

Eastern Daily Press: Norwich's Cattle Market ran until the 1960sNorwich's Cattle Market ran until the 1960s (Image: Newsquest)

Cattle Market Street, off Rouen Road, was named after the 17th-century cattle market that used to be held in the area. 

The market continued to be held until the 1960s and it continues to live on in anecdotes told by local people.

Many remember being children lining the streets to pat the animals as they walked towards the market.

2. Tombland

Eastern Daily Press: Tombland is pictured here in 1902Tombland is pictured here in 1902 (Image: Newsquest)

'Tombland' is said to have originated from two Old English words meaning 'empty space' or 'empty ground'.

READ MORE: Remarkable photographs of life in Norwich factories on show after chance rediscovery

The area was used as the city's main marketplace from the Anglo-Saxon era until the Normans settled and moved the market to build a castle.

To some, the road's name is apt - plenty of ghost stories have originated from it, including the tale of the girl who ate her parents.

3. Pottergate

Eastern Daily Press: Pottergate pictured in 1988Pottergate pictured in 1988 (Image: Archant Library)

Street names that end in 'gate' are derived from the Danish word 'gata', meaning 'street'.

Pottergate was, simply enough, the street where the city's potters lived and worked.

Fishergate was home to the city's fishermen.

4. Magdalen Street

Eastern Daily Press: Magdalen Street can be seen here in 1994Magdalen Street can be seen here in 1994 (Image: Archant Library)

Magdalen Street was named after the St Mary Magdalen Hospital in today's Sprowston Road.

It was founded in 1232 as a leper hospital and was later used for aged and sick people.

But before it got its current name, Magdalen Street was called Fybriggate which meant 'the street leading to Fye Bridge'.

Fybriggate was built between the Roman and Anglo-Saxon periods and was the main road connecting Norwich to north Norfolk settlements.

5. Elm Hill

Eastern Daily Press: The one remaining elm tree is pictured here in 1971The one remaining elm tree is pictured here in 1971 (Image: Archant Library)

Elm Hill is arguably one of the prettiest streets in Norwich with its cobbles and the traditionally beamed architecture.

It was named after a group of elm trees that historically stood toward the western end of the road.

The trees were planted in the 16th century by a group of churchwardens. 

A bout of Dutch Elm Disease took the lives of the majority of the trees but one still remains.