22-year-old Fiona Jermy loses five stone and launches weight loss group after health scare
- Credit: Archant
After damaging discs in her spine and being told she was at high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, NHS worker Fiona Jermy decided to change her life and lost five stone in just 18 months.
And now the 22-year-old, who has gone from a size 18 to a size 10, is launching her own weight loss group to inspire others.
Before joining the Slimming World group in Carlton Colville, Miss Jermy weighed 15st 12lbs and was struggling emotionally and physically with the impact of carrying excess weight.
She said: 'I was very low in mood and confidence, I would shut myself away from the world because I was so self-conscious about my weight. I would get frustrated when I couldn't physically do much without getting out of breath.'
While on holiday in summer 2015, she struggled to keep up with her friends doing water sports, partying and generally being active in the heat.
You may also want to watch:
'Not only were my joints suffering, I would get terrible sweat rash which was so embarrassing and I never felt confident to walk around the pool in swimwear,' Miss Jermy said.
After returning home and seeing the unflattering photos she knew it was time to make a change.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
'I felt disgusted at the photos of myself, I did not realise just how the excess weight was affecting my everyday life. Not only did I struggle with simple everyday tasks like climbing stairs and walking distances, I had damaged my spinal discs and was at high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.'
She joined the group at Grove Primary School in August 2015, and now has a new love for life.
She has dropped down to 10st 12lbs and has been so successful in her group, being voted 'Woman of the year 2016', 'Miss Slinky 2016' and 'Greatest Loser 2017'.
'Slimming World has changed my body and my life - it is not just a fad that I will give up, it is a lifestyle change and I never want to go back to my lifestyle before,' said Miss Jermy. 'At my heaviest I would emotionally eat, binge eat and even secretly eat and my relationship with food was very unhealthy. I have never felt deprived during my weight loss journey and have enjoyed everything that I love, including chocolate and pizza!'
Miss Jermy is now ready to help others achieve their dream weight and will be re-launching a Slimming World group in Roman Road, Lowestoft, from Tuesday, May 2, at 5.30pm and 7.30pm. For more call her on 07856083252.