1987 storm: Your memories ahead of 25th anniversary

In recent weeks we have been asking our readers to send in their memories of the great storm of October 1987, here are just some of the many stories we have been sent.

Cherry Green, 66, from Aylsham.

I remember the great storm – it was the night before my birthday.

I walked into work at Aylsham (at accountants Lovewell Blake) and all the trees along the Burgh Road were down and for some reason I climbed over them rather than going a different way to work.

You may also want to watch:

When I got there I was miffed no one remembered my birthday – no cards or anything. I didn't realise how bad the storm had been and hardly anyone was at work.

My fellow secretary came into the office and said a tree had hit her house at Banningham and the house had turned blue. She had to go home to deal with all the problems.

Most Read

John Gross, 77, Hethersett

The night of the October 1987 storm is for me certainly one to remember, second to my experiences in the 1953 floods.

I was a police officer on night duty with a colleague in south Norfolk in an area patrol car.

We were sent from one emergency to another mainly to alarms going off. Each route we took was blocked by trees or debris which, where possible, we had to remove.

We had to stop to shift parts of a shed off the road in one village and where fallen branches and trees were too large we had to find an alternative route.

We could see power lines across the Tas valley touching and flashes like lightning. Flying tiles were a hazard but fortunately we were not hit, however coming to the end of our shift in the early morning a large branch crashed down across the bonnet of our patrol car narrowly missing the windscreen but badly bending the bonnet. I came off duty to a very frightened wife but relieved to find no damage to my house.

Andy Russell, EDP and Drive24 reporter.

I lived in Blofield at the time and worked at Yarmouth. I got as far as Acle, there was no bypass in those days, and came to a halt outside Acle police station where a huge conifer tree was blocking the road and police were turning people back. Instead I went into our Norwich office and, being the crime reporter at the time, was dispatched to police HQ control room which was then at county hall to look out for some dramatic stories coming in so we could cover them for the next day's EDP.

It was so busy there that the police had me helping to answer 999 calls and fill in incident forms so the senior officer could prioritise response.

I finally got through to Yarmouth mid-afternoon and remember going along the Acle Straight and being amazed that every telegraph pole for mile after mile was lying flat on the fields.

I had slept through the hurricane and only noticed something was wrong when I opened the bedroom curtains and saw there was no felt on my shed roof!

David Myhill, 57, from the Mousehold area of Norwich, was a coach driver to and from the Lake District for the now defunct Linkwise Tours, based in North Walsham.

I had heard on the news that there was a big storm coming up from the south and that it was going to be horrendous.

So I'd warned the passengers that if we got caught up in it then we would have to stop at the nearest service station and sit it out for however long it takes.

We kept driving but the first damage we saw wasn't until Cambridge, when we had been told the whole of the east coast.

Then we started to go through all the towns and villages on the way to North Walsham and it really started to hit home.

I thought at one point 'I'm not going to get through this' because there were large bits of debris bouncing across the roads.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus