140 runners take to Thetford’s streets and country tracks for second marathon event
- Credit: Archant
140 runners from across the UK pounded the streets of Thetford for the town's second half marathon and full marathon event.
The route passed historical sites of the town before picking up the Angles Way to Euston.
The event on Sunday, named the Iceni Marathon, has tripled in size since the inaugural run last year.
Male full marathon winner Isaac Nugent (pictured) set a course record of three hours 18 minutes. The female marathon winner was London runner Sunny Calitz-Patel in four hours 22 minutes.
Half marathon winners were Karl Baxter from Northumberland, and Stacey Harper from Norwich in one hour 40 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Des and Allan Talbot celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary by running together, finishing in six hours 39 minutes.
Blind runner Paul Watts from the 100 Marathon Club was guided round by Mandy Harley and they both finished the tough terrain course in 6 hours 9 minutes.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 4 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
Carol Goodwin from St Ives, Cambridgeshire, completed her 100th marathon in 6 hours 57 minutes. Race director Mel Sturman said: I'm delighted with how the event went. The credit must also be shared with the high number of volunteers who gave up their entire Sunday to support the event.
'I am pleased how we have tripled in size and it is particularly lovely to watch runners complete their first half or full marathons.'
Plans are already underway for a third event in September 2017.