Put your feet up! Extra 1300 seats added to Greater Anglia platforms
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Revamps of stations across the Greater Anglia rail services has resulted in an extra 1300 people being offered seating on platforms.
The train operator has installed over 450 additional, new three-seater benches, and also replaced a further 318 existing benches with new ones for people to use whilst waiting for their train.
Many stations across the county are gaining at least 20 extra seats.
Greater Anglia's director of asset management, Simone Bailey, said: 'The new platform seating provides more seats at stations and greater comfort for passengers, as well as improved station presentation, at a time when we continue to see increasing passenger numbers.
'It's part of an ongoing programme of station upgrade projects which are also improving customer information, station lighting, ticket purchasing facilities and wider station presentation standards across our network.'
You may also want to watch:
The new benches would be the equivalent of a kilometre long if placed end to end.
The seating has supplemented and/or replaced older benches at 131 stations, including almost all the company's stations in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 3 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 4 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 Norfolk County Council Elections 2021: Joy for Greens in Norwich
A Greater Anglia spokesperson added: 'They will provide many additional seats, which will be especially useful during busy times, and will also help to improve the appearance of the stations.'
The new benches are also compliant with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act to ensure ease of use by those with mobility issues.