13 fantastic photos of the Sainsbury Centre as it celebrates 40 years of success
- Credit: submitted
Today (April 7) the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts at the University of East Anglia (UEA) celebrates 40 years of success - to mark the occasion, here's a look at 13 fantastic photos of the iconic gallery.
Hundreds of thousands of people have visited the striking building, from the Queen, who dropped by in 2017 to enjoy a cultural tour of Fiji, to the cast of Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron, who made the building their superhero headquarters in 2015.
The gallery has also played host to BBC Antiques Roadshow and is set to make another appearance in the upcoming blockbuster Avengers: Infinity War, due to hit cinemas on April 27.
READ MORE: From royal visits to becoming Avengers HQ: Sainsbury Centre celebrates 40 years of successBuilt between 1974 and 1976, the gallery is home to various permanent and temporary collections, as well as a study area, restaurant and coffee shop.
To mark its 40th birthday, a new exhibition called SUPERSTRUCTURES: The New Architecture 1960-1990 which examines developments in architecture, is being launched. The exhibition will run until September 2.
In a statement on UEA's website, Paul Greenhalgh, Director of the Sainsbury Centre, said: 'It is a real joy to work inside a masterpiece, alongside hundreds of masterpieces. The main gallery, called the Living Area, is my favourite part of the building, though the wonderful corridor in the crescent wing, is an architectural poem in its own right.'
You may also want to watch:
• What do you like about the Sainsbury Centre? Let us know in the comments below.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 4 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 5 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 6 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 7 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 8 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
- 9 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 10 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon