10 places in Norfolk and Waveney offering free dinners to the lonely on Christmas day
- Credit: Picture: Nick Butcher
Many will be sitting around the dinner table with their families and sharing gifts with their loved ones on Sunday. But for some people, Christmas Day can be the loneliest time of the year.
But thanks to charities and community groups across Norfolk, no one will have to spend December 25 alone. There are a handful of free events being held on Christmas Day, complete with dinner and activities for everyone. Here are some places in Norfolk offering Christmas dinner on Sunday:
1. Norwich Open Christmas, St Andrews Hall 11am – 5pm
Norwich Open Christmas has been running for 25 years and have served hundreds of Christmas dinners. Guests are to arrive at 11am for refreshments with Christmas dinner commencing at 12.30pm with entertainment throughout the day. At 2.30pm clothing will be distributed for those struggling to keep warm during winter, with tea and cakes at 3.30pm.
For transport please visit their website or call 07785 117273
http://www.openchristmas.org.uk/ 2. Great Yarmouth Open Christmas, Retroskate (at the Marina Centre Complex) 11am – 5pm
You may also want to watch:
Open Christmas Great Yarmouth has been serving up Christmas dinners for 4 years. Tea and refreshments will be served at 11am followed by Christmas dinner at 1pm. There are guest food parcels and clothing for those in need from 3pm and Christmas tea and cakes will be served from 3.30pm.
Please visit their website for more details on transport: http://www.openchristmasgreatyarmouth.org/ 3. The Salvation Army Norwich Citadel, 10.30am - 3.30pm
The Salvation Army Norwich have put together an afternoon of games and quizzes to accompany a three course Christmas meal at 12.30pm. Guests will even have some packed lunch to take home with them at 3.30pm.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 4 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 5 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
For transport please call in advance and a booking form will be sent out to you: 01603 620 747
4.The Salvation Army, Beccles, 10.30am - 3pm
The Salvation Army in Beccles has run a Christmas day event for the community for 3 years. The day will begin with carol singing at 10.30am with Christmas dinner scheduled at 12.30pm.
Please call Tanya Hill on 07510150143 to arrange transport.
http://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/beccles 5. The Salvation Army, Lowestoft Citadel, Battery Green Road, 12pm – 3.30pm
Guests can look forward to a day filled with entertainment, carol singing and gifts, with Christmas dinner beginning at 12.30pm.
Please call The Salvation Army in advance to arrange transport: 01502 539 118
6. St Andrews Methodist Church, Sheringham, 12.30pm - 3.30pm
Churches across Sheringham have come together to organise a special Christmas day event for the last 30 years. Christmas lunch will begin at 12.30pm with performances from local musicians and a choir.
Bookings must be made in advance, please call Connie Burchett on 01263 837 647
7. Assembly Rooms, Market Place, Swaffham 1pm - 4pm
For four years the Iceni Partnership have hosted a fun-filled Christmas day with carol singing, bingo and comedy acts with Christmas dinner at 1pm.
8. Community Centre, New Road, North Walsham, 1pm
Churches Together in North Walsham have put together Christmas dinner events for 21 years and this year dinner at 1pm will be followed by the Queen's speech, tea and cakes and a christmas gift to take home.
Bookings must be made in advance, please call Don Birch on 01692 404 889
9. Salvation Army Church, St Nicholas Street, Dereham, 11am – 3.30pm
The day will begin with a Christmas Day workshop at 11am, followed by dinner at 1pm Christmas dinner, with entertainment at 2.20pm and a packed tea to take home at 3.30pm.
For transport arrangements please call Major Loes Palmer on 01362 696341 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
10. All Saints Church, Cromer Road, Mundesley, dinner starts at 1.15pm
Readers can for more information: 01263 722218
The Salvation Army host a number of events for people who are alone throughout the Christmas period. Please call your local Salvation Army to find out more of the services and support they can provide.