New text message service for Norfolk Broads boaters heading into Great Yarmouth
People heading out on the Broads can now use their mobile phones to ensure they are up to date with tide times.
The Broads Authority is trialling a new text message service, letting people know the best time to reach the mouth of the River Bure at Great Yarmouth during May and June.
For the cost of 6p, plus a standard message rate, boaters can text the word 'Tide' to the 60777 to receive the predicted low slack water times at Great Yarmouth Yacht Station along with sunset times for that day and the next.
Breydon Water should always be crossed during slack water - which is about an hour after low water - to ensure boats can fit under Yarmouth's bridges and because the tide, particularly at the confluence of the Rivers Bure and Yare, will be less of a hazard.
Steve Birtles, head of safety management at the Authority, said: 'Tide tables can be found in the visitor magazine, the Green Book. However, the telephone text can provide an instant and hassle free service for the boater, resulting in a more relaxing trip over Breydon. If it is successful we will consider making the service permanent.'
You may also want to watch:
The Green Book booklet is sold by the Broads Authority for £1. Tide tables are also available online at www.broads-authority.gov.uk.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk