Naughty jokes set to tickle our funny bones in Norfolk - according to new survey
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
We may turn our noses up at scatologi-cal jokes – better known as toilet humour – but it seems comedy fans in Norfolk like to be a little risqué when it comes to hearing something funny.
That's according to the first national survey of Britain's comedic tastes, which has revealed that when it comes to sexual jokes, people in the East are more likely to raise a smile rather than blush.
In fact sexual jokes in the East were rated at 21 on the humour index, which is worked out by subtracting the number of those finding the categories unfunny from those who found them funny. In comparison the South West was rated the highest at 33, with Yorkshire being left stony-faced at -5.
The research, State of Play: Comedy UK, is an analysis compiled by Ticketmaster from audience data where a panel of 2,500 comedy event-goers was asked about their tastes.
Partner of Norwich-based Red Card Comedy Club, Derek Robertson, praised local comedy and said he was excited about celebrating the club's 13th birth-day at the end of the month.
You may also want to watch:
'Comedy is still a brilliant night out and it's a great event which does not cost too much,' he said. 'The taste for comedy in the UK has never been stronger but it's a shame it's domi-nated by television comedians.
'The Red Card Comedy Club is still here in Norwich and long may it continue.'
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 6 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 7 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 8 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 9 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
The survey also revealed that people in the East were big fans of regional jokes, rated at 32 on the humour index, with the South West at 51 and East Midlands at 16.
But when it came to potty puns, people in Norfolk were not impressed.
Rated -11, this number was way down from Wales, who scored a massive 22 for its 'blue' humour.
Surprisingly in our own online poll, readers flipped these results on their head and voted their favourite type of humour as toilet humour (25pc), followed by regional jokes, gender jokes and race/religious jokes (19pc), followed closely by sexual jokes (13pc) and finally political jokes (6pc).
? The next Red Card Comedy Club evening will be held on October 30 at the Norfolk Lounge at Norwich City Football Club, Carrow Road, Norwich. Tickets are £12 and doors open at 7.30pm. To book ring 0844 826 1902