Merry and bright: When Christmas lights will be switched on in your town
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Each day that passes brings us another day closer to the festive season, with twinkling lights, snow, and Santa Claus in mind here's our guide to what's happening and when this Christmas.
Christmas really is the most wonderful time of year and as the nights draw in, the city comes alive with the bustle of late night shoppers, stalls and traditional markets. The scent of roasted chestnuts and mulled wine fills the air and there is so much to enjoy as the countdown to the big day begins.
And amid the lead up comes a host of exciting events including Christmas lights switch-ons, fairs and if you're lucky, a visit from Santa. Here are some of the events coming up:
• Norwich will be shining bright throughout winter with twinkling displays across the city. The big switch on in the city centre will be on Thursday, November 17, coinciding with late night shopping. The lights will run until January 5.
You may also want to watch:
• See Castle Mall light up with all the shops twinkling with their Christmas displays on Sunday, November 20.
• A stunning Norwegian Christmas tree will also dazzle with thousands of lights, creating a beacon of festive cheer from its perch next to City Hall.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 4 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
Christmas light switch-ons around Norfolk and Waveney:
• Attleborough Christmas lights switch-on will take place at Queen's Square on December 1, from 1pm.
• Aylsham will be shining bright for Christmas on Friday, November 25.
• Beccles Christmas lights switch-on will be happening on November 25, 5.45pm-9pm. There will also be a Christmas market.
• Brandon Christmas lights switch-on will be taking place on December 4, 4pm-6pm.
• Bungay will be turning its lights on at 6.30pm on Saturday, November 26, and there will also be a craft fair on Sunday, December 4, at St Mary's Church.
• Christmas Events are being held in Cromer town centre from November 30 to December 4. From Wednesday, November 30 to Saturday, 03 December 3, St Peter and St Paul Church will be hosting a Christmas Tree and Nativity Festival. On Saturday, December 3, there will also be a Christmas market in St Peter and St Paul Church and the parish hall. There will also be a street market on High Street. The Christmas lights switch-on event starts at 4.30pm on Saturday December 3.
• Head to Diss from 3.30pm for the Christmas lights switch-on taking place November 26, until 5.30pm.
• Gorleston Christmas lights switch-on will be taking place on November 27 and will be followed by a fireworks display.
• Great Yarmouth Christmas Fayre will be on November 25-27, with the lights switch-on taking place on Friday, November 25, and topped off by a fireworks display.
• Halesworth Christmas lights switch-on will be happening on Saturday, November 26 and the Halesworth Lions Winter Street Fayre will be on Sunday, December 11.
• Harleston Christmas lights switch-on will take place December 3.
• Holt Christmas lights switch-on will be taking place on Wednesday, November 30.
• The Lowestoft Christmas lights will be switched on at 5pm, on Saturday, November 19.
• The North Walsham Christmas Street Fair and lights switch-on will be happening on November 26.
• Sheringham Christmas lights switch-on will be taking place on Friday, November 18, at 6.30pm.
• Southwold Christmas lights switch-on will be happening on Saturday, November 26, where Santa will be turning on the lights.
• Swaffham's Christmas lights event and Victorian Christmas market will take place in the Market Place on Friday November 25 between 2-8pm, with Santa and real reindeer, new lights, music, craft/gift and catering stalls, and funfair rides for small children.
• Thetford Christmas lights switch-on is taking place on Friday, November 25. And during the weekend of November 26-27, the town will be hosting its own Winter Wonderland – expect stalls, treats and sweets.
• Watton festive market is planned for Sunday, November 27, with the lights switch-on due to take place later that afternoon.
• Wells Christmas Tide will be happening across the weekend of December 3-4. On Saturday, December 3, crowds will gather on the quayside from 4pm when Santa will be arriving by boat. The lights will then be switched on around 5pm which will be followed by a lantern procession and fireworks over the marshes.
• Wymondham Wynterfest Christmas lights celebration and festive extravaganza will be held in Wymondham Town Centre on Saturday 3rd December from 2pm to 6pm.