Medium Voltage Pump Starters delivered in record time
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth electrical engineers, Softstart UK, have pulled out all the stops and supplied high-tech equipment for a massive clean water project in Nigeria in double quick time.
Softstart was asked by a major contractor in the UK via the Nigerian Development Agency if they could provide a solution for a seemingly intractable problem. The agency is building a new water and sanitation system for Zaria City in Northern Nigeria. Currently only half of the city (population 500,000, twice the size of Norwich) has clean running water and less than a third has sanitation. The aim is to get these figures up to 100% by 2020.
'Obviously this will make a massive difference to health and hygiene. It will also improve the schools, hospitals and other services and help secure industry and commerce,' says Stuart Harvey, managing director of Softstart. 'We were very keen to give this project our all.'
The issue Softstart had to address was when the giant medium voltage pumps would be switched on; they tend to drag down the (somewhat temperamental) mains supply causing major power outages. The solution was to build a control panel for each pump which brings them up to speed smoothly over a period of a couple of seconds, like the dimmer on a light switch.
'We needed nine individual systems,' says Stuart, 'so to meet delivery dates on time we set up a 'mini flow production line' from initial order /design and build in May 2013 we built them in 14 weeks instead of the usual 26. Every person in to company got involved and we were bursting with pride when we dispatched them on their long journey this month.'
You may also want to watch:
For more information on the Norfolk Chamber of Commerce and their business to business exhibition, visit www.edp24.co.uk/business/norfolk-chamber-of-commerce or www.norfolkchamber.co.uk.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 5 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 6 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 7 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 8 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 9 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 10 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"