Mattressman founder opens Norwich factory
The founder of the successful Norwich-based mattress and bed supplier Mattressman says he is proud to be opening his new factory in the city.
Andrew Kerry has invested �250,000 in the British Bed Company, in Rice Way, off Salhouse Road, which is a part of Mattressman, employing 10 new staff.
He has ambitious plans for the venture and is hoping to more than double his workforce in the next two to three years.
Mr Kerry, who is member of the Future 50, said: 'The big thing for us is that we are proud it is in Norwich. Dewsbury has over 50 factories in one small town and is a large area with a workforce in our industry.
'We are a long way from there, but we are proud to have our own factory in Norwich.' The British Bed Company factory has got had its first big order for the American base at RAF Feltwell and he said there already was a lot of contract work for hotels and air bases. The factory will start producing 150 mattresses a day and he hopes to double that within in three years.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kerry said: 'I have always wanted to have my own factory to experiment with my own designs and materials. I am very into fashion and textiles. Now I have got my own factory I can do it myself. We have got to be doing what people feel is acceptable to put in their home.'
He also said that with other mattress manufacturers getting into trouble recently he wanted the security of having his own production.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 3 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 4 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 5 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 7 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 8 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 9 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 10 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
He said: 'I thought there could be more casualties this year. I wanted to safeguard myself with the factory, so I have got continuity of products.'
As well as the British Bed Company brand, Mattressman will also make the brand Snuggle beds and Mr Kerry plans to start producing a third brand at the factory. He will also offer exclusive ranges for retailers.
As well as Mattressman's own website and nine shops, the factory will also supply the British Bed Company brand and Snuggle Beds brands to other retailers.