Reader letter: Norwich Western Link will wreak Wensum Valley
- Credit: ARCHANT } NORFOLK 2004.
I understand the proposed routes for the 'Norwich Western Link' are to be revealed soon.
It is inevitable each one will wreak destruction to the unique Wensum Valley.
What makes anyone think that an acceptable route can be found, when we have been circling around these wagons for over 30 years, and the conclusion is always the same — the impact on environment and people, and the sheer cost, makes it a non-starter.
Around £400,000 has already been devoted to a report telling us what we already knew. This money could have been put to improving the existing HGV route across the valley, or better still, to introducing an effective bus system in the area. There really is no other alternative.
READ MORE: Highways bosses mull over whether £300m A47 improvements should be started simultaneously or in phasesBut sadly every planner and politician is wedded to growth, behaving like the classic alcoholic, knowing that he ought to give up the booze, but always seeing the next drink as the only way he can cope with the pressure of doing so.
We must all realise we cannot keep building roads, houses, food hubs, supermarkets ad infinitum, yet no-one in power can admit it, and continue to talk about 'sustainable growth', an impossible concept.
You may also want to watch:
What future do they see stretching ahead for us? Honingham as an inner suburb of Norwich, Reepham Road dualled (it can be pretty busy at times, after all), Barton Broad infilled to provide land for more housing, and a retail park at Heydon?
Probably not in my lifetime, but certainly in my grandchildren's if we carry on as we are. It is time this madness stopped and we concentrated on truly sustaining and cherishing what little of value we have left.
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 3 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 4 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 5 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 6 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 7 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 8 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 9 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 10 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout