Video: Norwich City star Ricky Van Wolfswinkel switches on Thorpe St Andrew Christmas lights
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
The festive season has well and truly arrived in Thorpe St Andrew, after the traditional market and Christmas lights switch on at River Green.
Hundreds of people wrapped up warm in chilly temperatures to see the twinkling lights illuminate the dark winter evening.
Sunday's event, organised by Thorpe St Andrew Town Council, got underway at 4pm, with the ever popular Christmas market on the car park of The Buck Inn. People had the chance to pick up a present or two and sample local products.
Thorpe St Andrew Parish Church hosted a Christingle service and youngsters and the young at heart enjoyed fairground rides.
There was carol singing led by the Vineyard Church as the crowds waited for Father Christmas.
Santa, complete with his reindeer, arrived for the switching on of the lights.
And, to the delight of Norwich City fans in the crowd, there was a special guest to do the honours - Canaries striker Ricky Van Wolfswinkel.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 3 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 4 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 5 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 6 Protests planned against soaring fuel prices
- 7 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 8 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 All of the Norfolk streets that won the Postcode Lottery in June
After the lights were turned on, youngsters then got the chance to visit Santa in his grotto to let him know what they would like to get on Christmas Day.