Video: Norwich City star Ricky Van Wolfswinkel switches on Thorpe St Andrew Christmas lights
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
The festive season has well and truly arrived in Thorpe St Andrew, after the traditional market and Christmas lights switch on at River Green.
Hundreds of people wrapped up warm in chilly temperatures to see the twinkling lights illuminate the dark winter evening.
Sunday's event, organised by Thorpe St Andrew Town Council, got underway at 4pm, with the ever popular Christmas market on the car park of The Buck Inn. People had the chance to pick up a present or two and sample local products.
Thorpe St Andrew Parish Church hosted a Christingle service and youngsters and the young at heart enjoyed fairground rides.
There was carol singing led by the Vineyard Church as the crowds waited for Father Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
Santa, complete with his reindeer, arrived for the switching on of the lights.
And, to the delight of Norwich City fans in the crowd, there was a special guest to do the honours - Canaries striker Ricky Van Wolfswinkel.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 7 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 8 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
- 9 Norfolk and Waveney's 30 under 30 - from world-beating athletes to business owners
- 10 Rescuers resume search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
After the lights were turned on, youngsters then got the chance to visit Santa in his grotto to let him know what they would like to get on Christmas Day.