What’s the best supermarket mince pie to buy in 2018?
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
We sampled a selection of mince pies from a range of supermarkets – budget to splurge. Here are our front runners.
Tesco Finest 6 All Butter Mince Pies (£2)
Well-filled and served warm with a dollop of alcohol-infused cream these could make a great dessert.
There was plenty of filling and a firm but buttery pastry but that dash of brandy promised on the packaging wasn't noticeable. They could have been more generous with the booze.
You may also want to watch:
M&S 6 All Butter Mince Pies (£2.50)
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 3 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 4 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive
- 5 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 6 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 7 MPs call for Norfolk to be in own coronavirus tier
- 8 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Welcome to our new website
- 10 PE teacher banned after getting drunk and showing her breasts at school prom
'No complaints here – great with a cup of tea,' said one tester.
Most enjoyed these pies, saying they had really buttery, crumbly pastry and a generous filling (which was at times a bit claggy).
Overall a good flavour which ticked all the boxes.
Aldi Classic Mince Pies
Quite average tasting with pastry which was on the drier side. But the filling was moist, with citrus notes coming through and they weren't too sweet.
Sainsburys 6 Rich and Fruity All Butter Minced Pies (£2)
Deep-filled pies with loads of filling and a decent buttery pastry. They divided our testers, with some saying the filling was too sweet, but with others remarking on their 'beautiful fresh taste with a bit of zing'. They wouldn't disappoint anyone on Christmas Day.
Waitrose 6 Sour Cherry and Chocolate Crumble Pies (£3)
Ooh these caused a bit of a stir! Mincemeat infused with Heston's Cherry Bakewell Vodka and cherry top a chocolate pastry, with a chocolate crumble on top.
'These aren't real mince pies!'
So we are disqualifying them on that count. But…if you love chocolate and cherry and aren't really a big fan of traditional mince pies, these could be just the ticket for you. The texture is wonderful- all crunchy and crumbly with a gooey centre, and the taste is scrummy.
9/10 (for a tart, not a mince pie)