Charles and Joy Boldero plot a seven-mile course through the flatlands around Terrington, This was a good seven-mile walk with one stile and the route mostly along tracks.
Charles and Joy Boldero plot a seven-mile course through the flatlands around Terrington,
This was a good seven-mile walk with one stile and the route mostly along tracks. We parked at the bottom of the 'No Thro road' on the verge at Hay Green 'South' (Map ref 539190) by Hay Green House (Farm). This and Hay Green are situated on minor roads off the A17, five miles west of King's Lynn.
We walked back down the country lane and turned right along Tuxhill Road. We turned left along another 'No thro Rd'. At the end we ignored a road turn right and a track on the left and kept ahead with a white house on the left. It became a grassy track.
We went over the bridge and turned left with a deep ditch on the left. At the next bridge we turned left, then right along the wide field edge with a ditch now on the right.
You may also want to watch:
Reaching the country lane, Shepherdsgate Road, we turned right along it. We turned left along Green's Lane and at a finger post and yellow marker sign turned left.
The farmer does not mind where you walk across the fields nor the next one, as he has not left a designated path to follow.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 Holidaymakers rescued after boat lodged under bridge
- 3 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 4 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 5 Bargain Hunt films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 6 Photo shows car inches from knocking cyclist off road
- 7 Fresh calls for action over 'unacceptable' queues at A11 roundabout
- 8 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 9 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 10 Hotel's new pizza restaurant enjoys 'fantastic' first month
In the first field we aimed towards the end of the third lot of bales, one high, two low. Behind the end of the second low ones we found the stile as it went over a chain link fence. We managed to lift Tammy up and over with difficulty.
We crossed the main road and went to the sign opposite, going down the bank and crossing the field aiming for the right of the lone tree. Beside it was a bridge which we crossed. We continued along the wide field edge path which crossed a track and went left at the end of the ditch then right to the road where we turned left along the pavement in Terrington St Clement.
We turned right along Churchgate Way, passing the village sign on the left and the King William Inn. At the finger post sign we turned right into the churchyard, leaving by the lych gate. We turned right along the pavement, then left along Church Bank. It eventually became a rough track.
Going round the concrete bollards, we continued along the path. We crossed the road and went along Orange Row opposite. This became Wanton Lane. At the T-junction we turned right along the pavement. Reaching the red telephone and post box we turned left, Hay Green (north). At the end we went round the barrier gate, crossed the main road again and went through the barrier gate back to the starting point.
t PLACES OF INTEREST:
1. Hay Green 'sits' on the fertile flat land of the fens. A writer recalled while travelling in 1763 that in the fen villages he passed by many houses which were flooded ankle-deep and he observed that the 'fen tiger' must have web feet!
2. There are several Terrington villages in close proximity. The name Terrington is thought to have been derived from the old English Tira's people with settlements and enclosures.
The village of Terrington St Clement existed in Saxon times and was then called 'Turringonea'. We know that there was a gift by Godric in 970AD of lands here to the Abbey at Ramsey.
One of the industries that has disappeared from the area is salt production. When a 'dig' took place evidence showed mounds of waste left over from the evaporation of water over heat to extract the salt. The houses that now stand on the old site are named 'The Saltings'. The village stretches to the Wash and in 1613, the sea caused terrible damage as it raced inland. Some 2,000 head of cattle were lost, 480 acres of corn fields was ruined and 13 houses were ruined. Similar destruction was wrought during the terrible North Sea surge of 1953. By way of contrast, in 1960, after a dry year when only 17 inches of rain fell, Terrington was declared the warmest spot in England.
The church of St Clement is called the 'Cathedral of the Marshes'. There is a fragment of Saxon interlace carving embedded inside the chancel. There is also a fine font cover which opens to show painted scenes of Christ. It is a lovely church and well worth obtaining the key from the house next to the church.
The King William is a more modern pub. Inside, it is well-furnished and there was a warm welcome from Heather, Barry, family and staff. They are now open seven days a week with tasty food on the menu which is served from 12 noon to 9pm. Charles enjoyed a pint of Courage Directors.
t MAP REFERENCES:
OS Landranger 131, Explorer 236:
539190, 534185, 533180, 536167, 541167, 548167, 552183, 554181, 556186, 554190, 551200, 551205, 544205, 553204, 554199, 540195, 539190.