Sixty years young, it’s party time for club
- Credit: Archant
Ladies and gentlemen join me in a toast... to the members of Easton Good Companions Club, a group which has just celebrated 60 glorious years.
While other clubs have been and gone, this organisation goes from strength to strength and is now reaching out to the community for more members – and that includes you chaps.
'We would see to see more men join. It really is a wonderful club and we always make sure we keep an eye on each other. Just to make sure everyone is okay,' said treasurer Jean Ditton, who started as a tea-maker more than 50 years ago.
The longest-serving member Joan Chapman was a VIP at the birthday party where a special cake had been baked by Ann Dunbar. 'She isn't even a member. We are so grateful. The cake was lovely,' added Jean.
Times were very different when the club was formed in 1955 but a report at the time summed up well what the club is still all about in the 21st century.
You may also want to watch:
It said: 'This club is organised by those whose sole aim is to give pleasure to others without any reward to themselves except for the satisfaction of doing it.'
Mind you, they don't hand out cigarettes as Christmas presents any more!
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 3 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 4 Revealed: Norfolk's hotspots for Japanese Knotweed in 2021
- 5 Tractors and harvesters sold as farming family retires after 100 years
- 6 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 7 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 8 Matt Hancock faces calls to resign after allegation of affair with aide
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 Person suffers serious injuries after being hit by car in King's Lynn
If you want like more information about the club or are interested in joining up give Jean a call on 01603 880422.