Sixty years young, it’s party time for club
- Credit: Archant
Ladies and gentlemen join me in a toast... to the members of Easton Good Companions Club, a group which has just celebrated 60 glorious years.
While other clubs have been and gone, this organisation goes from strength to strength and is now reaching out to the community for more members – and that includes you chaps.
'We would see to see more men join. It really is a wonderful club and we always make sure we keep an eye on each other. Just to make sure everyone is okay,' said treasurer Jean Ditton, who started as a tea-maker more than 50 years ago.
The longest-serving member Joan Chapman was a VIP at the birthday party where a special cake had been baked by Ann Dunbar. 'She isn't even a member. We are so grateful. The cake was lovely,' added Jean.
Times were very different when the club was formed in 1955 but a report at the time summed up well what the club is still all about in the 21st century.
It said: 'This club is organised by those whose sole aim is to give pleasure to others without any reward to themselves except for the satisfaction of doing it.'
Mind you, they don't hand out cigarettes as Christmas presents any more!
- 1 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 2 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 3 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 4 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 5 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 6 New headteacher appointed at village high school
- 7 Plans for 13 new homes near historic former railway line
- 8 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
- 9 Murder jury hears how 'angry' father ran over teenage daughter
- 10 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
If you want like more information about the club or are interested in joining up give Jean a call on 01603 880422.