A reunion to remember for Norwich security staff
- Credit: Tony Kirk.
With Christmas almost upon us a Norwich security firm is gearing up for its annual festive celebration. Derek James shares the details.
It's reunion time for the happy band of men and women who worked for Securicor in Norwich this coming Saturday....and this is your invitation to turn up and meet up with some old friends.
Ten years ago – how time flies – I told how the people who worked at the big security company got together on the last Saturday before Christmas for a few drinks to celebrate the festive season and look forward to the new year and find out what everyone had been up to.
They had a reunion then and now they are holding another one, back at their favourite watering hole, the Ribs of Beef public house on Wensum Street in the city.
'This will probably be the last big reunion as we are all getting on a bit now,' said former branch manager Tony Kirk.
You may also want to watch:
'It would be good to see as many people as possible to have a catch up,' he added.
That's Tony in some of these pictures with a wig, scarf and a handbag. 'The girls had no respect,' laughed Tony.
- 1 Welcome to our new website
- 2 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 3 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 4 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 5 MPs call for Norfolk to be in own coronavirus tier
- 6 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 7 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 8 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 9 Missing pregnant woman found
- 10 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive
It was taken 40 years ago, in 1978, when the girls were working in the finance department.
'Securicor was a good place to be. We all got on really well. For us they really were the good old days,' he said.
Back then the famous company was involved in all kinds of security work across the city and county – from moving money around to protecting premises and delivering parcels.
'I started off as a patrolman at Bacton before moving into Norwich on night patrol and then moving on before becoming branch manager,' explained Tony.
At the time Securicor in Norwich was employed about 150 people operating a fleet of vehicles and services.
• The reunion is taking place at the Ribs of Beef, Wensum Street, on Saturday December 22 between 12pm and 4pm. More details from Tony Kirk on Norwich 07860 680975.
Don't forget to let us know if you are having in reunion, perhaps from school or work, in Norwich or across the county. It's a great chance to meet up with old friends and discover how their lives turned out. Drop me a line at email@example.com.
So, happy Christmas and thanks to all the readers who have been in touch with their stories and tales throughout 2018. Look forward to hearing from you all in 2019.