Reader letter: I was banished from the Tories
- Credit: Norfolk Conservatives
I listened with some amusement to the leader of the Tories on the county council having a good old moan on the wireless about the Tory MPs in Norfolk.
Only two were spared his ire.
Some years ago I publicly supported a non-Tory candidate for a local election in Wymondham.
To my surprise I received a letter from a self-appointed legal genius on the local council telling me that I was not allowed to criticise a Tory candidate and I would be banished from membership of the party.
Unfortunately for him I had banished myself from theparty some months previously which said little about their record keeping.
You may also want to watch:
I wrote back explaining his rather embarrassing mistake and telling him in no uncertain terms that bullying members of the public was not the way to win friends and influence people.
He told me that our exchange of letters was to remain private.
- 1 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 2 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 3 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 4 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 5 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 6 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 7 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 8 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Delays likely as 75ft boat taken along A47 and A11
I was so terribly upset about this that I inadvertently found my correspondence ended up on my Facebook.
Oopsy daisy, how did that happen.
But this brings up a rather more serious matter. If the local Tory party in Norfolk considers that any person who has ever had anything to do with their party is to be punished by expulsion when may we expect chairman Cliff's scatter gun criticisms of senior Tories in Norfolk to be treated accordingly.