Reader Letter: ‘Smart’ meters are not smart at all
One reader thinks that they were misled about the advantages of having a smart meter. What do you think?
I so much agree with Mike Jozefiak (Letters, August 1) regarding smart meters.
When it was offered by my supplier, I agreed to a smart meter and it was fitted on March 17, 2016. I was 79 at the time and found it difficult to read my existing meters which are located at floor level in a small cupboard.
I was not told however that, should I wish to change suppliers, this smart meter would not be compatible with any other suppliers as they would be unable to accept readings from this smart meter.
Three other companies confirmed this when I inquired about changing suppliers and said I would have to have their own meter fitted. I contacted my existing supplier who told me it would cost me £50 to have this one removed, which they later denied.
I was told by my supplier that having a smart meter would do away with estimated readings but, this doesn't appear to be the case, as on my last statement the readings were given as estimated. When I queried this I was told that they weren't estimated but genuine readings, even though it said they were estimated.
In short, I have been misled by my supplier and, as their smart meter cannot be used by other suppliers, I feel I am stuck with a supplier that I would like to change from, but am unable to do so.
- 1 ‘Porn addict’ Norfolk doctor who secretly filmed women struck off
- 2 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 3 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 4 5 famous faces who were born in King's Lynn
- 5 Teenager died after choking on own vomit
- 6 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 7 Rare insect spotted in Norfolk for first time in nearly 100 years
- 8 Police break up rave at country park
- 9 New parking fees in tourism hotspots could tackle £60m budget black hole
- 10 Woman’s death prompts ‘significant dangers’ warning over A11 cycle races
Do you agree with our reader? Let us know in the comments below or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org