Reader letter: Does Norwich city centre need more traffic?
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
This reader is missing the 'bustle' of traffic in Norwich city centre.
You report a rising number of empty shops in Norwich.
I often wonder if I am alone in missing the "bustle" that used to be the centre of Norwich when traffic was allowed to pass through.
Has the exclusion of traffic produced a sanitised, boring centre contributing to a decline in footfall and thus empty shops?
We now have the wonderful empty prairie in front of John Lewis. I count the people on the fingers of one hand pedalling happily home from the centre, after the vast expenditure on road "improvements" easing their passage, laden with their new suits and dresses, shoe boxes and other large purchases, while frustrated motorists head to out-of-town shopping venues where they are welcomed.
You may also want to watch:
Can readers think of any one organisation that deserves an award for what they are achieving in removing the soul from the centre of Norwich? I can.
- Do you agree with this reader? Let us know in the comments.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 4 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Man in 20s drowned in country park lake
- 7 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 8 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 9 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 10 Shock as cleaner finds a snake in house