Reader Letter: Is the new care village in Bowthorpe really ‘very clever’?
- Credit: Archant
Cliff Jordan, leader of the county council suggests that the health secretary Jeremy Hunt described the Bowthorpe care village development as 'very clever'.
A very expensive facility built with massive public subsidy may or may not be clever but what is certainly not so clever is the contractual arrangements the council has entered into with NorseCare.
Guaranteeing to purchase care at much higher prices than those paid to other providers should raise serious questions of best value. The council has a legal duty to promote a resilient care market and yet its favourable and unfair contractual arrangements with NorseCare continue to undermine that.
It is ironic that the council should now be touting NorseCare as a remedy to the lack of care beds available in the county when in part it has exacerbated the problem. NorseCare takes a disproportionate amount from the adult social care budget and inadequate fees being paid to other providers has led to a lack of investment in new facilities. At current rates perhaps a third as many more people could be provided with residential care if NorseCare wasn't paid so much.
If Mr Hunt were to have the full facts I am sure he would agree that the council's arrangement with NorseCare is certainly not very clever.
You may also want to watch:
Tim Armitage, Chair, Norfolk Older Persons' Care Home Association (NOPCHA), c/o Woodspring House, Fakenham.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 5 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 6 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Fresh calls for action over 'unacceptable' queues at A11 roundabout