Reader letter: Focus should be on the A140
- Credit: Archant
One reader thinks the EDP should be campaigning to improve the A140 instead.
While the EDP's campaign to dual the A47 is laudable, I fear it is yet another example of putting the cart before the horse.
Norfolk likes to 'do different', but in reality it is no different to the rest of England; it depends on Felixstowe for the bulk of its imported goods and potential exports.
Norfolk business needs the A140 to be dualled to its junction with the A14, to quickly and safely move those 40ft boxes along the Romans' old route.
Instead, millions were spent on building an outer harbour at Great Yarmouth which the country didn't need at the (then) end of the A47.
You may also want to watch:
However, not content with that white elephant, the government then decided to (virtually) extend the A47 to Lowestoft, although all the road signs on the A47 still directs traffic via Beccles.
Now we are soon to have what many people believe is City Hall's vanity project - the costly but uncosted NDR, that length of Tarmac would have probably completed the dualling to the county border at Scole and made the proposed Long Stratton bypass actually worth the long wait.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 7 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
- 8 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 9 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 10 Norfolk and Waveney's 30 under 30 - from world-beating athletes to business owners
So with less than a year until Brexit-day, surely the EDP should get behind improving the A140, Norfolk's main route to south-east Asia, rather than a route to Wisbech. And to avoid confusion in the (lack of) planning office at County Hall, I mean south of Norwich, not north to Cromer.
Do you agree with our reader? Let us know in the comments below or write to us at email@example.com