Villagers fear Gayton is becoming overspill development for King’s Lynn
- Credit: Ian Burt
They may be more than seven miles apart, but residents in Gayton fear their quiet village could become an 'overspill development' for King's Lynn.
Hundreds of new homes were approved for the west Norfolk village earlier this month, and outline proposals for up to 50 properties on land to the north of St Nicholas Close have now been lodged with the borough council.
If all the new homes are built then the number of properties in Gayton will increase by about a third, residents have warned.
Claire Loane said: 'As residents of Gayton all our lives we are now seriously thinking it's time to move. It is obvious that Gayton is no longer to be a village but an overspill development for King's Lynn and west Norfolk. Gayton will turn into a building site; five years down the line it will be spoilt beyond belief.'
Fellow resident Sarah Petch added: 'This over-development of Gayton will cause considerable harm; it simply outweighs the benefits.'
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, residents are also concerned that a £4.5m project to move Gayton Primary School to land on the corner of Back Street and Winch Road will need a re-think, because the 210 proposed places at the school won't be enough to accommodate newcomers to the village.
Geoff Gibling, who lives nearby, said: 'With a potential 226 new homes in the village the school will need to be capable of taking 250-plus pupils.'
- 1 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 2 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 3 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 4 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 Long delays due to overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 7 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 8 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 9 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 10 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
? Are you concerned about the future of Gayton? Email firstname.lastname@example.org