Villagers fear Gayton is becoming overspill development for King’s Lynn
- Credit: Ian Burt
They may be more than seven miles apart, but residents in Gayton fear their quiet village could become an 'overspill development' for King's Lynn.
Hundreds of new homes were approved for the west Norfolk village earlier this month, and outline proposals for up to 50 properties on land to the north of St Nicholas Close have now been lodged with the borough council.
If all the new homes are built then the number of properties in Gayton will increase by about a third, residents have warned.
Claire Loane said: 'As residents of Gayton all our lives we are now seriously thinking it's time to move. It is obvious that Gayton is no longer to be a village but an overspill development for King's Lynn and west Norfolk. Gayton will turn into a building site; five years down the line it will be spoilt beyond belief.'
Fellow resident Sarah Petch added: 'This over-development of Gayton will cause considerable harm; it simply outweighs the benefits.'
Meanwhile, residents are also concerned that a £4.5m project to move Gayton Primary School to land on the corner of Back Street and Winch Road will need a re-think, because the 210 proposed places at the school won't be enough to accommodate newcomers to the village.
Geoff Gibling, who lives nearby, said: 'With a potential 226 new homes in the village the school will need to be capable of taking 250-plus pupils.'
- 1 Café serving produce fresh from its farm opens in north Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 3 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 4 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 5 Woman accused of exposing herself to boy outside Lowestoft park
- 6 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in crash with 4x4 outside village pub
- 7 Some firefighters using foodbanks amid £18m payroll system 'farce'
- 8 Flames grip barn in north Norfolk
- 9 Council refusing special school place for disabled girl
- 10 Teenager died after choking on own vomit
? Are you concerned about the future of Gayton? Email email@example.com